Monday 12 September 2011

Sunday Smiles ♥

Sunday can be a grim cocktail of a hangover from Saturday evening and the impending gloom of Monday morning, however it doesn't have to be this way! While I am unable to offer a better hangover cure than Berocca and a bacon sandwich, I do hope to bring a small smile to your Sunday, making the thought of Monday morning seem a little more bearable.

I apologise for the lateness of this post, I have just moved into University halls and things have been a bit crazy!


I am and always will be the optimist. The hoper of far-flung hopes and the dreamer of improbable dreams.
Matt Smith, 11th Doctor Who


What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable?
John Green, An abundance of Katherines

I go to seek a Great Perhaps
Francois Rabelais


Feminism is the radical notion that women are people. 
Cheris Kramarae and Paula Treichler



This week I'd like to mention a campaign called 'slut walk' it was started in Toronto, Canada after a female police officer was quoted saying that 'women should avoid dressing like sluts in order not to be victimised'. The idea of the movement is that everyone should feel safe in their community no matter how they dress. A woman should be able to leave the house naked and still retain the right to say no. 
Feminism has kind of gone out of fashion in this decade but you don't have to be a 'bra burner' to believe in women's rights and rape is such a devastatingly important issue that should always be high on the agenda. Blaming the victims will not solve the problem.
Anyway serious bit over if you'd like to find out more about slut walk this is an interesting article by Germaine Greer: http://www.telegraph.co.uk/health/women_shealth/8510743/These-slut-walk-women-are-simply-fighting-for-their-right-to-be-dirty.html, and this is the slut walk website: http://www.slutwalktoronto.com/. On another topic this is a video of Home by Edward Sharpe and the Magnetic Zeros that I think is utterly gorgeous and I  hope it manages to bring a smile to your sunday:



Thanks for reading
xox


2 comments:

  1. oh I really hate sundays so I wanna thank you for your smile ;-)

    I totally agree with you. Women should be able to wear what they want and they always should feel safe outside their apartments.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This post made me smile as usual :) good luck with Uni, hope you settle into halls ok :) I read am article about the slut walk in company magazine-it is so shocking how women can be blamed for rape, makes me absolutely furious. we should be able to wear what we want to-fashion is all about expression!
    Take care <3 Holz oxo
    http://beautifulsimplicity-holziepink.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete